Friday, April 07, 2006

German Landscape

I actually finished this sometime last week, but I never got around to photographing it until now. I meant it to be just a little doodle to keep me busy between portraits, but it turned out a lot nicer than I expected. It's 6"x8" on vellum Bristol board.
I did a drawing in ink...


... and then went over it in watercolor.



It didn't take too long to do. I was going through old photos last week and found a picture of this German town and was actually interested by it... Which is strange, because usually I'm not attracted to painting landscapes at all. I don't have the patience to do large areas of green. (Which is why I did this one tiny.) I wouldn't have had the patience to do it if I'd been trying to paint the same thing any bigger.
It's a pretty big departure from my normal style, but it's fun. I like doing that now and then... But I still prefer my normal style of painting, at least for portraits.

No comments: